VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Site Suspended

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Web Site Suspended Reply with quote

I wake up for odd reasons. Usually, when I can't sleep there's some VO waiting for me from overseas or another reason to not rest. So, I've learned to get up and just deal with whatever's going on. So, at 2AM this morning I woke and couldn't go back to sleep. Come to find out that my web host had a "suspended" notice on my site. It seems they didn't know which accounts were active on a certain server. So, I had to sign into their new web site and create a new account.

You folks know it is all about service. The site is restored now but I've just had the adrenaline rush of a marathon runner. If you are with Milescape, you may want to check your site or account. If you have a web site, a daily check is mandatory.

And there are times when I realize that it's a miracle that any of this works anyway. <g>
Sameer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lot of sites which send you email (if you register with email other than on webserver) updating as/when the server stops responding.....+ a weekly/monthly performance report

http://www.internetseer.com/
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'll check into that.

I am currently investigating web hosts, including eDatarack, and hope to get things in motion by tomorrow.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoDaddy's hosting is as solid as a rock.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GoDaddy, Bill. I got two years domain registration and hosting for something like $97. Having a web presence, priceless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I'm with GoDaddy, too, and never regretted it.
For a song and a dance, I also registered every possible .net, .org, .biz, etc. iteration of my website .com name to protect the uniqueness (such as it is). It cost about $6.95 or something ridiculous. They're great with phone support too.

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this note: Beware of Comcast.net. Apparently, they've implemented some very aggressive tactics in an attempt to deal with SPAM. That's a good thing. But, the down side is one of my friends reported E-mail not getting through from her clients (she's a researcher).

Checking things out revealed Comcast is filtering E-mail coming in from "GATEWAY ISP's." What that means is that if a spammer is using an ISP who serves other users, that ISP's domain is blocked. The result is that legitimate users/clients are not receiving their E-mail. You may want to Google "comcast blacklist" for more info.

This highlights the real problem with the Internet. There are points of failure that can and do disrupt business.

Digital signatures would help, tremendously. But, most of us do not use them and they add an additional level of complexity behind the keyboard for some folks.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Go Daddy! flawless for my meager needs.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Channel wrote:
On this note: Beware of Comcast.net. Apparently, they've implemented some very aggressive tactics in an attempt to deal with SPAM.

I've had to deal with this first hand at the studio - i can't relay through MY OWN server anymore because of them - even after speaking to them and having them set up reserve DNS resolving to my own domain... it's a pain.

Everyone should definitely look into this because it's becoming a trend among different ISP's - not just Comcast (although they seem the most aggressive about it).

-Anthony
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

You da man! Thanks so much for posting this. I am a Comcast customer and have been struggling to discover what settings I've changed on my computer to create this problem. Now I know it has nothing to do with me. I Google'd "Comcast blacklist" and, sure enough, LOTS of problems.

I wrote them a rather scathing, but diplomatic e-mail advising them that if this practice did not stop, or if they do not provide a "reasonable" workarond to the issue that I would be finding another ISP. If there are other board members using Comcast - even if you're not experiencing issues, I urge you to do the same.

Too bad, too... I've been with them for 6 years now and have been quite happy with their service.

Again, thanks for being our technical eye for the board. Appreciate it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: