VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding Focus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Lorenz
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Finding Focus Reply with quote

I’m just wondering how everyone goes about balancing their careers in VO. I’m still pretty much a newbie to it all. I took my first class in late 2005. I went “full time” in October 2007. Full time is a relative term since I still freelance as much as possible at my old job (A/V technician). I am able to set my own schedule though and work nights and weekends whenever possible while focusing on VO during most days.

I’m at the point now where I’m trying to do so much that I feel like I’m doing nothing at all. When I do too much online like blogging, message boards, facebook, P2P auditions or emailing from lists of studios, I feel like I’m ignoring the real world. When I go back to cold-calls, warm-calls, business get-togethers and “hitting the bricks” I feel like I’m falling behind the online world.

My ideal work would be in animation. I primarily do corporate/industrial and just finished my first audiobook. Of course, I would welcome commercial work. I live in NYC and realize the potential by living here but here again I feel like I’m spreading myself thin. Jack-of-all-trades or focus on one or two things? I’ve actually yet to become a big fan of listening to audiobooks but feel I might have a knack for narrating them. I loved doing it.

I plan on finding a regular voice coach, doing a new commercial demo and finally trying to get an agent in late June. I realize an agent will only help me get commercial work and the rest is still up to me. I’m still banging my head trying to brand myself accurately.

I’m guessing my story is familiar to many of you on the board. I’m sure most, if not all, have gone through a similar time. Maybe many still are. When did you finally find focus in your VO careers? Or does it never happen!
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, you'll find a wealth of knowledge in the archives. Much of what you ask about had been discussed in the past. Such as limiting the amount of time you spend online vs. other activities relating to your business. Good luck.

greg@gregorybest.com
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that helps me through is a mentor/coach. That and the realization that an overnight success takes at least 15 years to create.

The online stuff is easy to get sucked into because it's simple, you sit at home and surf the list of sites every day.

The footwork of door to door and getting your name and voice in front of real producers is harder. Thickening the skin and understanding that when you don't win the audition, it isn't a reflection on you. You just weren't right for the part. So I audition more, but focus on my strengths.

I'm not a voice of god or a hard sell guy or the movie trailer guy. (which is good since I don't own a Sennheiser shotgun mic)

My agent helps out maybe once a month with a gig, and that's cool, but the rest of the time I'm trying to meet and greet real people that could hire me. I find that Craigslist is a vast wasteland of un-returned emails, but I still send them. Guru, oDesk, Mandy, V123... I look at them all each morning prior to the shower and other things on the list. (new demo's, new webpage..)

My mentor says, tenacity, and he got that from Paul Newman. Paul told him once that the difference between him and others when he got involved in acting was that he stuck with it, and after a while the others gave up, so he survived.

I jumped back into this world feet first in February, and have already landed some fun gigs and have done some low budget projects to get my foot in the studio door. I walk in, do a good job, and have been called back.

Every day, it's a step in the right direction. Somedays it's a real small baby step..

www.monksvoice.com
Diane Havens
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, James. We find our own paths. That will be different for everyone. Here's mine:

I have only been doing this for three years. The first year was my trial year -- since I started out in my working life as a stage actor, then a teacher and at the same time a live storyteller, during which time I did community theater and lots of young adult and children's theater directing. I consider myself an actor first, though I have chosen to do all that acting with the voice at this point in my life. I put myself out there and found that the market does a fine job of defining you. 90 percent of my work that first year was in narration and character voices.

The second year I began to focus exclusively on narration in my marketing and training. I have a gift for storytelling -- and just as importantly, a passion for it.

My third year, I did three audio books of varying lengths -- but all fiction. I will tell you if you seriously pursue audio book work, you must have that passion for it. And you must be an actor. And you must listen to others do them. That is how you learn and grow. It's time consuming, but even if you only listen to an hour's worth now and then, you really should. Hear how Jim Dale, Ron McLarty, Scott Brick, Barbara Rosenblat and so many others do it. Join APA, subscribe to AudioFile. It's not a niche to be taken casually. This is where I have put most of my efforts -- it's what I do best and it is what I love with a passion.

As in life, plenty are happy to play the field -- not everyone finds that one true soulmate -- but audio book work, and within that, fiction, for me, is mine. I've found my one true love.

I hope you find yours.

Veni, Vidi, Voci
http://www.dianehavens.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch yourself doing things purely for selfish reasons. If you look closely at the way the majority behave everything online is motivated by the need to climb the mythical ladder of success. Do not judge people for behaving like this but be aware of when, where, how and why they're doing it. Implementing this simple safeguard will limit the amount of time you spend online. Easy to say, not so easy to do, well worth the effort.

If I am in "work mode" and don't spend a great deal of time online in the same way I never say I'm researching contemporary drama when I am watching 24 on TV.

In order to find your place in the market, change perspective. We know what you want from the market now try to discover what the market wants from you.

Pay someone to listen to your demos and ask them where they believe you fit in.

"James the market needs your .................read" this will be followed by a clear explanation as to why you and more specifically how you show through your demos that you are able to deliver.

It's tough out there and a "Me too" marketing philosophy will not work whereas an "only me" will probably get you a lot further with very little effort.
James Lorenz
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you all for your input so far. You’ve all hit on different aspects of what I was asking. To get to some next level, it’s clear I’m going to have to commit to a single goal instead of just throwing nets in different directions. I obviously can’t ignore other areas of the business that can bring in money and need to keep practicing and learning within those areas but I do need to set more of a goal.

I’ve always been kind of a “go with the flow” type of person so that’s part of the problem. I usually don't look back or ahead.
Smile
Patricia Shanks
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you posted this and I'm in here, today, reading you, James. (The Zen headings always suck me in. Smile ) I just put something like this up as my Facebook status update. I love acting, VO, singing, teaching, writing. Promoting my (all of the above) takes more time than one person has. Then, "doing" one or two of all of the above has to happen. I'm stressed to the max. My Facebook update was that I miss having hours to sit and read, or play the piano. If you - or anybody here - has found the magic solution to balancing all of these things, please impart information.

BTW, my email attached to my main Facebook page is patricia@studioshanks.biz

If you go to this site --> http://www.shanksvoice.com you can become a FAN of my singing workshops in the Valley. There's a Facebook Badge on the site. Please fan me. I'm just starting these classes. I'm one wonderful singing teacher ... still trying to put together the class. And fanning me costs you nothing. So I don't have to feel like a schmo for begging.

(949) 723-4473
patricia@patriciashanks.com
patriciashanks.com
shanksfortalking.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're supposed to be a fan of an as-yet non-existent singing class?
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patricia,

Since I'm all ready a fan of yours in real life, becoming a Facebook fan is no sweat at all. Done.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Patricia Shanks
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob!

Hi, Deirdre! The place, the format, the equipment, the advertising, the incredible teaching skills, et al, exist. It has been about 10 years since I last taught in the Valley (then, for a theatre company in Hollywood and also in Sherman Oaks). I've been teaching for over 30 years - the most recent 10+ in Orange County. So I have to remind people in parts north that I and my class DO exist. I stopped teaching there, back then, because I had Pneumonia and couldn't keep up the pace. A couple of people got mad at me for leaving. Uh ... Pneumonia! But I guess it wasn't about the poor, sad teacher's health. Ha-ha.

(949) 723-4473
patricia@patriciashanks.com
patriciashanks.com
shanksfortalking.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I gave up coachng my students attempted suicide by throwing themselves off match boxes. I suspect they didn't realise how serious not having me in their lives would be or they would have made an effort.

Jealousy plays a big part in my life so I explain to my jealousators "I chanted for that job, Dahling! Now you go and do likewise!"
Simon Fellows
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My Facebook update was that I miss having hours to sit and read, or play the piano. If you - or anybody here - has found the magic solution to balancing all of these things, please impart information.

Do not have children. Or do anything that requires incredible teaching skills. Before you know it, the opportunity to sit, read and tinkle the ivories (all at the same time if you so wish) will present itself. After a while, you'll begin to wonder why you don't have time to have children or make use of your incredible teaching skills.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fabby" teaching skills, surely?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lists!

I make play dates on my calendar to remind myself to stop down and play a game. Otherwise I'd go totally mental.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: