VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Page for Getting Started

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Web Page for Getting Started Reply with quote

Didn't this group have tentative plans to build such a web site for folks wishing to get into this business? Is there a web site that already exists that would be appropriate?

I was up late last night and then up early this morning. Working in different time zones does that sometimes. So, I was taking a nap. It wasn't an intended nap. I was watching a famous cable news channel and I fell asleep. I mean really asleep. You know how dogs like to sleep in the sun with all four feet up and their tongues hanging out the side of their mouths? It was that kind of sleep.

The phone rang and it was someone interested in getting into voiceovers. Of course, I had just woken up and he probably thought he had mis-dialed Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

This very nice man had been told he had a good voice (he did) and he had been surfing around the net reading what he could about getting into the business. He came upon my (somewhat) hidden page about getting into the business. My page is very poorly written (mostly for radio people panicking after their stations have been taken over by Clear Channel and Cumulus) and truthful, encouraging but not all encompassing. It has to do with the reality of what we do. Here's a portion.

>I would suggest using the same logic in this field as you would any other. Don't expect someone to find work for you. It won't happen. An agent isn't going to hear your demo, fall to their knees and say. "You're what we've been looking for all these years! Here. Cut these 50 commercials this afternoon while I go fire everyone else I represent." <

We all come at this business our own way. One thing I've learned is that what may work for one VO artist may not be right for someone else.
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Start out page Reply with quote

Hi Bill.

That's exactly what I'm currently working on, as well as an instructional / documentary v/o DVD, from which I'll post short mpegs. I have about 39 hours taped in digital video - with students going through the motions, and will continue to film professional situations as well as interviews with voices, agents, studio settings, home studios, blah, blah.

(In other words - this ain't never gonna get done!)

In the meantime, I do have a 30 page handout that I've been working on and has been wonderfully edited by various folks, including our own MCM on this board. If you want an email version, I'd be glad to send it, so you could either send it to up-&-comers that call you, or use what you want on your site - should you want. (I just ask for credit in tiny wording at the end if you do). And feel free to add / change / delete / toss!

We're all in this together, in a sense.

-den
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

That's really cool. I already have a page on my site that goes through the basics.

I will share some links I thought were good that may help some newcomers here.

Jason Richards

http://www.speakezy.com/voiceover.html

Bill Murray

http://www.voiceovers.com/yourvocareer.html

Setting Up Your Audio Card

http://www.tweakheadz.com/setting_up_your_audio_card.htm

How To Hook Up A Mixer

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_hookup_a_mixer.htm

Digital Audio Mixers (Mac World) http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/digitalaudiomixers/index.php
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, look who crawled out of the studio! Where've you been, Den?

Quote:
We're all in this together

and sheesh, next you'll be saying "Keep your stick on the ice..."

You Canadians.....
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for your toes.

-Casey Kasem
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and sheesh, next you'll be saying "Keep your stick on the ice..."

You Canadians.....[/quote]

Hardy har. And to think I was going to send you some flapjacks & official lumberjack shirt. Harummph! (Look for a not-too-fresh Nova Scotian lobster arriving at your door soon, missy from "Beantown".)

Thanks Bill (and Mary). I checked most of them and obviously found the usual, albeit, good info.

I just find that most have "information" - which sounds really dumb of me, but your average person doesn't really want to scroll paragraph after paragraph, even though they should when researching something as this.

If you've seen the trailer to "Comedian - Jerry Sienfeld" which has Hal Davis doing a mock voiceover, which is absolutely brilliant, you'll agree that VO on video can be 'sexy'. I think a page should reflect that with short vids of people behind the mic, quickie interviews, etc.

So, that's what I'm a gonna do, yep.

den out.
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: PS - Bill Reply with quote

Bill, I actually thought your site was one of the better ones! Easy, to the point, somewhat fancy without overdoing it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Mary too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: