VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SM7b or NT1-a

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: SM7b or NT1-a Reply with quote

Sorry to start a new topic... In my last post I mentioned I can get an SM7 for 300 bucks. The Rode is pretty much about $200 anywhere. Which would you all get for a female and how big of a difference from my AT3035 do these compare?
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shure is a cardioid mic and the AT is condenser. The Shure will be a more directional pattern and does have several settings you can choose. It will sound like your SM58 but with a larger element.

This is tough to answer because what your ears hear and sounds appropriate is subjective. There are high female voices, low ones...silky and shrill ones. And, when you're in the range of $200 condenser mics they're just about all the same. I might ask how you know it doesn't sound right for her? What's missing in your opinion? That may help you decide. Was there a studio or mic she used where you said, "Ah Ha" that's the sound! If so, what was the mic and audio chain? How does she work the mic? Does moving her closer or further away help? And, like Banksey said, have you tried different EQ settings on your mixer? Do you have or use a processor? Those can be critical and can yield a variety of sounds.

Sorry I can't help more.
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mic is running throught a dbx286a, through my Mbox and into Pro Tools/Soundforge. I am actually going to do some testing tonight including bypassing the dbx and going straight into Protools with some EQing (plugin).
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i picked up an SM7b after finding a really good sales rep at G.C. He actually setup the NT1a and the sm7b so I can compare the 2. I will say that all mics in the 200 range are not the same. While I've always liked my AT3035, I find the Rode NT1a to have a much warmer sound. I didn't buy this mic cause I needed a good VO mic for my girl and she & I like how she cam across on the SM7b. I will pick up the Rode later on for singing projects and keep the AT for my mic locker. Thanks to all that gave me suggestions and I hope this helps anyone else that stumbles upon a similar situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: