VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel Gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Travel Gear Reply with quote

What should my minimum requirements be for a traveling studio when I go on vacation? I just want to plug-in to my lap top and record on Audition.

So, what should my lap top specs be?
Sound card recomendations? (I do not want to go as high as an M-box or the like.)
Do you travel with pre-amp?

Anybody with experience in this please help. Also, where do your store your gear when you are away from your hotel room? The thought of leaving out that much investment frightens the crap out of me.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my backpack for my laptop and a big ole camera bag that holds the mixer, USB audio interface, mics and cables. I use a Dell Pentium III 1 Ghz 265 RAM and 20GB hard drive. You can get a USB interface for a laptop for about $40 (less on E-Bay) and a Behringer mixer from Musicians Friend for about $40. Be sure to take a mouse to use. A touchpad will drive you crazy if you have to edit.

Good luck with this.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
Be sure to take a mouse to use. A touchpad will drive you crazy if you have to edit.

Quoted for emphasis. I use a wireless mouse from microsoft. Usually runs about $30, but if you dig around you can find them on sale. I got mine for 19, then promptly found one online for 14. Go figure.

B
Art

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to minimize the load is to plug a Samson USB mic directly into your laptop. Only other thing you need is a mic stand.

The Samson mic sounds really good, but its noise floor is only about 55 dB down. Using the free Samson SoftPre will get you another five dB, and also give you a low cut filter and a good big meter.

Mic sells for $80, and eliminates preamp or mixer and USB interface.

The noise floor will show up in a studio (although it's really "clean" noise and easily gated or filtered), but its noise level is about the same as a good quiet hotel room. Plenty clean for any productions where music and FX are mixed with the voice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: