VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Media Day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Media Day Reply with quote

This coming week I have been asked to be a part of a local university's "Media Day". I've never done this before but very much looking forward to it. From what I understand, there are tables with different media types. Traditional Radio and Tv with print and several "freelance" folks like myself. I hear that most folks just sit at the table and answer questions. I'm also thinking of making a notebook with examples of scripts and showing the step by step process.
Step 1: Script arrives by e-mail
Step 2: Turn off Oprah
Step 3: Boot Audio computer

Anyone ever done anything like this? I'm expecting the typical "how much money do you make?" and "how do you find work" questions. They want to begin to focus on the independent contractor who uses the internet or other means to work from their home. In my own neighborhood there is an editor and a graphics guy. The graphics guy will be there also. I guess if I get stuck for an answer I'll just point to his table and say that I do what he does but with audio. <g>
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill -

It sounds so fun and I'll bet you have a blast!

Is there a way you can bring some audio with you? Do you have a laptop? Maybe you could make a file with a bunch of finished pieces and just have it playing in the background. And maybe additional files demonstrating the difference between a lifeless read (you may have to hire somebody to do that for you Smile ) and an energetic read, soft sell, hard sell...

Other exhibits to have on hand:

Scripts

a few video files showing VO on television or in Flash animations

your business cards!!!

a sheet on VO - what it is, where you hear it, tips for the aspiring voice actor - where to look for training, how to incorporate practise into one's daily routine, demo production, where to look for work. Make sure you have your contact information on it. Whether this is an educational event or a marketing event, people should have something to take away with them, and a way to remember you and how to reach you again.

You could even do a bit of impromptu coaching - give people a script to try. Heck, record 'em even, if you want to bring a microphone. Do you have any mics that are made for noisy rooms?

Please give us a full report!!
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrive in a Limo... wearing a tuxedo. That should be enough to answer all those "typical" questions.
Have fun!
Wink
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to impress them, tell-em you know Frank.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
If you really want to impress them, tell-em you know Frank.

Yeah, Dan-O, how about it???? Wink
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill....
Be ready to answer the question about "what courses do I need to take in college to prepare for a job in this area?" High Schoolers and Junior College students are always prompted by their instructors to ask that one. No clue how to answer that....I'm finding it harder and harder to answer on career days that I go to. Certainly computer skills, marketing, business, theatre, communications for starters.
Bring your mic and boom stand for a prop -- record 'em on cassette if you have to....people get weirded out when they hear their own voice.

Good luck!

DaveC.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have a brochure that explains how my business works. I am taking my laptop, mixer and a mic. I have some scripts for them to read and record if they wish. This is going to be fun.

Again, thanks for the thoughts. It's not a job fair, but a place for kids to discuss their interests. Media Day is Wednesday morning. I'll let you know how it goes.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
I am taking my laptop, mixer and a mic. I have some scripts for them to read and record if they wish. This is going to be fun.

And don't forget to put out a tip jar. You may want to label it "Voice Over Retirement Fund"
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey,

That's a truly brilliant idea! At things like that you really want to try and find a hook to interest people, otherwise they just kinda pass you by on their way to the pop machine or the smoke pit, and that makes for an extremely looong afternoon!

The mixer and mic are definately important, but I guarantee that they'll be talking about the tip jar! Just make sure that it's a big one! Like one of those big 'ol pickle jars!

Good Luck Bill!
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my first Media Day has come and gone. The mic and scripts were a dismal failure. LOL Most of the kids wanted to do web design or programming. I was mostly there to address being an independent contractor and using technology to work in any market.

I left with great hope for the future. These are bright young people. It was great fun talking technology with them.

It was great fun and I hope I get invited back next year.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it went well.....I was very curious how that was going to turn out. I am a bit disappointed though about the failure of the mic and scripts thing. I was really anxious to hear what the kids reaction was to hearing themselves read scripts. Sounds like you had fun though.....You probably WILL get to do it again next year.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Doc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... but, did they fill up the tip jar?

Rolls Eyes
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah... but, did they fill up the tip jar?

The graphic artists needed the money worse than me. Smile Smile Smile
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Graphic Artists were so desperate, they were forced into doing caricatures of the kids for 25 cents a pop. Foot in Mouth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: