VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the the business of today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good approach, but the biggest challenge is that local radio stations have spoiled their buyers and they've included the production AND voice talent (usually one of the DJ's) in the buy.

-Anthony
skynet74

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that local radio stations have spoiled their buyers. However if you Cold Call random businesses, you not only have to sell them on using your VOICE, but you also have to sell them on the idea of having to buy AD Space! So it seems to me that you are essentially doubling your work by having to do two different jobs. However I see what you are saying about radio stations using their own talent. So the solution would be to do the same thing I suggested, but instead of using the Radio, how about writing down all the TV ads that you see instead. Television stations rarely use in house talent for commercials. So this should work out better for you.
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I began radio in 1970 the commercial was written, produced and voiced at the radio station. In this market if the client requested it, a dub (copy) of the commercial would be sent to other stations to air. That was then. However, in this market even now the practice still remains.

Your selling point is that your voice is not all of the DJ's in town cutting the commercials, which will make their adverts stand out. In my last job, which lasted 18 years, my voice was not allowed to go out to other stations as a way to protect the morning franchise.

It's an interesting business.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true. my partner (in my production outfit) has convinced quite a number of clients that are faithful radio buyers to pay additional money to have me produce it. they've heard the difference and can now see the benefit. but i can't use his voice for other stations as he's a dj at one (i tried it once and it was bounced back to me faster than it was encoded in mp3)
... ooops.

-Anthony
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
Your selling point is that your voice is not all of the DJ's in town cutting the commercials, which will make their adverts stand out.

Bingo. That's why stations pay good money for "outside" voices on imaging, something also perhaps worth mentioning if the in-house voice issue comes up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth calling all the radio stations in your area, because some of them routinely use outside talent. Their title might be account executive, or senior account executive. If you're lucky you can get that information from their website and then ask to speak to that person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: