VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitzmaurice Voicework familiarity anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Fitzmaurice Voicework familiarity anyone? Reply with quote

A lecturer is coming on campus this week to discuss a couple of topics and one thing mentioned was Fitzmaurice Voicework. Looking this up sounded quite interesting. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this. The lectures sound interesting too.

PROF. DUDLEY KNIGHT
Master Teacher of Voice for Performance

Wednesday, Apr. 16
2:30-3:30pm
Lecture: “Breathing Matters”

4:45-6:15pm
Open Workshop: Fitzmaurice Voicework

Lecturer info:
Professor Emeritus in the Drama Department at the University of California–Irvine, Dudley Knight has voice-, text-, or dialect- directed over fifty plays at the Tony Award-winning South Coast Repertory. Over his 40-year career, he has been on the artistic staff of the Los Angeles Theatre Center, La Jolla Playhouse, American Conservatory Theatre, the Utah Shakespearean Festival, the Colorado Shakespeare Festival, LA Actors Theatre, and Theatre West.

He has taught voice, speech, and acting at The Actors Center in New York, Yale School of Drama, The American Conservatory Theatre, the University of Southern California, California Institute of the Arts, and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts/West, as well as in England, Ireland and Scotland.

The Voice of Bob
Craig
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And where is this Bob?
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Charlotte, NC. On the UNCC campus. Free!

The Voice of Bob
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. Good breath support is crucial to those of us doing voice overs, especially when you have a long-form narration, where a single sentence can go on and on and on.....
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on, and on...
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and on and on....
Honestly, I've encountered some paragraph long sentences that take up almost a half page. That's when you need to find a logical place to grab a breath.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if anyone wants to attend, they are requesting your name on a list over in one of the on campus buildings. I have no problem walking over there and putting your name on the list.

The Voice of Bob
Patricia Shanks
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Fitzmaurice Reply with quote

Saw this old thread and thought I'd give you a first-hand report of what I learned at a recent NATS event in Los Angeles.

The presenter was Heather Lyle. She has a long list of credits. She teaches the singing portion of the teacher certification program for Fitzmaurice Voicework in NYC. She also teaches for LA Mission College, Santa Monica College, and elsewhere.

Because we only had a couple of hours, we could only touch on the various warm-up exercises (body) and a few of the postures that cause "tremors" (when the body goes into the shakes, but it has nothing to do with weak muscles). There is a lot I don't know. But I could tell that the relaxation and focus that happened by way of the tremors did SIGNIFICANT good for my relaxed and deep breathing. One woman had a full body tremor experience. Really interesting.

Travis went with me to the workshop. He jokes that people pay him "not" to sing. Well ... good sport that he is, when the presenter picked on him and asked him to sing during a particular exercise, this lovely sound came out of him. I was stunned. Our speaking voices both took on a kind of freshness when all was said and done. That's the best way I can characterize it.

I bought Lyle's book. It is full of great physical exercises. I just checked out her Website www.vocalyoga.com It looks like locals can sign up for upcoming classes and seminars if you're interested. Please tell her that Patricia Shanks from the January NATS meeting referred you if you do or get anything. Doesn't do anything for me, other than remind her that whoever Patricia Shanks is, is alive.

(949) 723-4473
patricia@patriciashanks.com
patriciashanks.com
shanksfortalking.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: