VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ProMedia Training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: ProMedia Training Reply with quote

Hi All,

I learned that Pro Tools has training centers in various cities and luckily I found one in Dallas. I currently use Soundforge but I barely know what to do with it except record my voice raw. I want to learn more recording techniques and how to use recording equipment and this program was all I could find.

I'd like to know if anyone has taken any courses from them and if they recommend it.

Take care,
Mary
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would go grab a book on Pro-Tools first and see if that makes sense. If you know the basics, the finer points like editing and multi tracking are easily explained.

Pro-Tools on its own doesn't come with a lot of plug ins, just the basics, which for V.O. is just fine, however it doesn't come with a cool noise reduction plug in, you would have to buy that separately.

If you have any questions on PT, let me know. No charge Smile

www.monksvoice.com
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Monk,

Wow, that was a fast response. I've glanced at Pro Tools books in stores but it makes no sense to me. And see, it's the same with Soundforge, I looked at the book but again, it made no sense to me. I had to have someone show me hands-on how to use it. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to self-teach myself most skills. So I thought about the ProMedia because it is hands-on and a crash course (which may or may not be a good thing).

I'm also struggling with how to use my microphone properly. Lately I'm getting auditions that require my character to get angry or enraged and it's getting close to impossible to record without having the horrible high pitch squeal. I've tried recording sideways or slightly away from the mic but then the recording sounds muffled and far from pristine.
I'm wondering if ProMedia might be able to show me how to record without these problems or how to fix them.

And then there's music. I'm a vocalist with some MIDI background (hands-on from a Continuing Ed. course at university, but it was on a MAC, I use a PC).
Artists I've e-mailed or spoken to recommend using Pro Tools.
I know costs are high and it would probably be a waste of money but I have no one in my area to show me otherwise, and plus, it's there time I'm using. I only know 2-3 people who have extensive radio backgrounds and they're busy with jobs.

Any advice you have would be fantastic. I really appreciate your time!
Sincerely,
Mary
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I'm even close to being an expert on Protools, so let's just say I'm a satisfied user for the past 6 years in a row. When I switched to Protools (HD) in my studio in 2004 I immediately took the PT101 and PT201 classes from a certified Digidesign Training Center in Amsterdam. I must say I did have over 10 years experience with harddisk recording prior to the switch. Late 2002 I started using PT at a radiostation I worked for, so that really gave me a head start. I will be taking the "operator" 210M/P classes as well in the coming months, only it's a bit difficult to find dates when I'm actually there (in The Netherlands).

My consideration was basically that my studio clients needed me 'up to speed' on the PT-rigs, without having to deal with an Edo still studying and getting to know the application. I had been using SAWPro/SAWStudio before, and Soundforge since the day it was released for the first time. I needed to make the switch because everywhere I went, half finished PT-sessions popped up... so I had to be able to deal with PT. Now I couldn't imagine me being without it, but it's just 1 of the many tools that are available in the DAW world.

You should at least visit http://www.ptnewbie.com and I'll be more than glad to tell you specifics on Protools 'for beginners' once the specific questions come up. And I know there's a lot of Digidesign users on the board, so I'm probably not alone in this. I'll be more than glad to be of assistance, both on and off the board should you need any help. Also, there are a lot of 'how to' video's on youtube and there's a bunch of tutorial DVD's available, ranging from total newbie material to the very advanced poweruser expert levels.

Good luck!
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PM
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

You are on a PC which gives you access to Adobe Audition. Great Program for V.O.

Pro-Tools is primarily, in my opinion, a musicians multi-track recording software. I've recorded a lot of bands and artists on Pro-Tools and I have Digital Performer at home and cut my teeth on Logic 1.0 for Digital Audio Workstations (DAW) Prior to that, I'm an ace with a razor blade.

Lets keep it simple.

If you were to get an M-box with Pro-Tools LE, it's a good system for computer recording. Solid and transferable.

Waveform editing is easy with practice and most software can do it with ease, it's like editing a sentence.

If you need a class to physically show you hands on what to do and that will give you the confidence, then move forward, I don't know what you are comfortable with.

For me, push buttons, play, experiment and make a mess... there's always "undo"

Monk

www.monksvoice.com
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

I've taken a few of these Pro Tools training classes. They have been helpful, but mostly devoted to musicians. There will be little of value to you in terms of voiceover work.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mythwoman
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk,

With Soundforge I've experimented many times with the options under Process and Effects but I couldn't grasp the technical aspects. In the end I'd just mess up recordings.

I know a few voice talents who use Adobe Audition but if there's hope that'll I get around with Soundforge then I would rather not spend more money.

Bob,

Yeah, I keep forgetting that Pro Tools is really more for musicians. I took a MIDI class in continuing educations once but it did little to help me understand the process. Dallas Audio Post and Funimation use Pro Tools and I've recorded many times with both, so I assumed that I needed to record with Pro Tools at home in order to produce better auditions.

I do have lots of music ideas in my head, heck I'd love to compose music for video games someday but VO comes first so if Pro Tools isn't necessary right now than I can wait.

Thanks for the advice guys!!
Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: