VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: What would you do? Reply with quote

I have a "good problem." I have been doing a ton of work lately for government contractor and the company wants to hire me on part-time to eliminate the hassle of invoicing.

The pros & cons (This is were you can help me out)

Pros:

No more invoices means I get paid in 2 weeks.

I can still work from home.

Cons:

I would have to answer to a boss.

What would you do?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it. You're "answering to someone" anyway, when you think about it. They send you work, you do it within a given time frame.

Doing stuff for the gov't may be the only growth business left.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they given you a pay structure? Would they give you more work than you could handle (or want to handle) because you would be an employee? Does the math work out in your favor? These are issues that are more important than answering to a "boss." Like DB said, you do anyway.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Come again Reply with quote

Let me understand this....I'm supposed to get PAID for doing voice overs. All these clients kept telling me it was my DUTY to provide them voice work. Hmmmm :lol:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! When Social Security goes away you'll be one of the few actually getting money from the government!
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, when a government contractor has a hassle with invoicing, do you know what's about to freeze over? Hint, it's not Florida.

Something to think about ....

Here in the D.C. area there's a huge focus on web-based training, as a result there's a lot of industrial work with companies you never thought would require it. There is also work with the military, I know a few VO who are working directly on a joint Navy / Marine project voicing books and online training tools as part of their never ending technology refresh.

In order to get on a GSA schedule to become a vendor within the government and begin accepting that type of work, you have to go through a lengthy process, I am told is well worth the time. Part of this process is prooving your current rates, you must show invoicing for the previous 2-5 years so Big Brother can tell you what rate they are willing to pay for your services. I'm sure there are some other additions since 9-11 as well.

If, in the future, you wish to work directly for the US government or any branches of the military, keep that in mind, you won't be able show up saying you've been doing the work without those invoices. Your work may reach circles you had not anticipated and you might be asked to get on a GSA schedule. If you do not have the ability to provide the documentation, it's just not going to happen.

It's a nice option to have, take into account your longterm goals.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to kgenus's information, which I agree with totally... you may also become a sub-contractor to a current vendor. I have doing this for years, not only doi I share the wealth, but I get paid fairly well as a bonus.

Good luck.

Frank F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just it, Kevin & Bill. I have been jumping through the hoops for a while now. The contractor has had to jump through them, too. It seems they tired of it more quickly than I did.

As for comments also made above, I would still make the same money, just billed on an hourly rate. Say, I would normally charge X amount for a job, I would then divide that by my hourly rate.

I gotta say, it is steady work and good money (your tax dollars at work)! One of the guys in the company said "Think of it as a kick-back on your taxes."

Thanks all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: