VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waves Renaissance Vox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Waves Renaissance Vox Reply with quote

After Charlie's post I was reminded that Waves Renaissance Vox is on my wish list, but I can't seem to find it as a stand-alone. Does anyone know if I have to buy the whole Musician's bundle to get Vox or can I buy it seperately?

BTW, I just got an Earthworks mic pre (thanks to Kevin), and I love it. Also bought a book called Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies. It starts from scratch explaining things like EQ and compression and is helping me to understand what I've been doing (or not doing) to my sound files. I highly recommend it.

Also thanks to Kevin I've downloaded the trial version of QuickBooks. I've been having trouble keeping track of who I've invoiced and whether they've paid, and this seems to be a good solution. Seems it will make tax time easier as well.

Does anyone here watch "Deadwood"? Is that show awesome or what?I'm rambling, it's time for bed.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There Renaissance VOX is a part of two (and maybe three) packages from WAVES. I bouight the Musicians' Bundle for $200, since it contained the minimum I was seeking (the Reneassance VOX):

http://waves.com/content.asp?id=654

If you want the De-esser, it's in the other bundle that Kevin recommended, for $400.

http://waves.com/content.asp?id=53

The tool (Reneassance VOX) is really good.

You might also want to check out Microsoft Money with promotions that the software companies bundle with their products. I scored a deal a last year when I bought TurboTax or some other program. Money was either free or $10 with a rebate of some type. I've been using it for all of my business needs (both VO and other work) and it does a good job.

CC

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Musician's Bundle II just for the RVox as well. It REALLY is worth it.

Bernard
Bo Hudson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Kitstern....I LOVE Deadwood. The main actor..the guy who plays the dark haired brothel owner...'Ian' something....won an award for best actor in a series I think....

Anyway...back to the subject at hand: for my invoicing I use Quick Books online. I just enter my data and it does everything....plus, nothing is actually on my computer...so I'll never LOSE anything if my computer crashes...(that has happened a couple of times). Everything is stored on their site, and I simply go there to do all of my invoicing. It's $19.00 a month...and worth every dime to me since I wear every hat in my little VO biz nazz.

Best,

Bo
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided to spring for it, should be here on Monday. I got the Musician's II bundle, as it has a compressor and EQ. It was $150.00 at Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Musician2Nat/

I'm redoing some demos, so I can't wait to try it out!

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious. And dammit there's always somthing new to lean every day. Can you use this software along with Cool Edit Pro, Or is it a stand-alone recording/editing software? I'm guessing my Pentium II (which barely drives CEP) don't have the juice to run this stuff.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What plug-ins does Cool Edit Pro accept. VST? It'll work. RTAS? That's Digidesign's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite honestly, Charlie, I have no clue what plug-ins CEP accepts. Here's another example of what a computer dumbass I am. What's a plug in? :oops:
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "plug-in" is a dependent auxillary computer application that can integrate into the main computer application. It usually functions to provide a feature the stand-alone computer application doesn't have. By itself, the plug-in does nothing. It's designed to work with other software applications.

"Plug-in's" in this sense are software applications that emulate the function of hardware. Thus, plug-ins are 'onboard' whereas hardware is external to the DAW.

Got the picture? You could have a hardware compressor/limiter 'outboard' or you could get a software plug-in that emulates an outboard compressor/limiter.

A software application, such as Pro Tools and whatever includes an interface (what you see on the computer screen). Say you want to add an "equalizer" or a "compressor" on the main output channels. You click on an "insert" tab and, in Pro Tools, see a list of auxillary applications that you can "insert" or "plug-in" on that channel.

In Pro Tools LE, you can have up to five inserts. So, you could have an equalizer, a de-esser, a reverb, etc. Of course, since it's software, it consumes computer resources (CPU cycles). And, you've got to have a processor (CPU) with enough speed to process all the data. And, you need lots of random access memory. That's another story, though.

The Cool Edit interface probably has a way of using plug-ins. And, the WAVES plug-ins work on a large variety of applications, e.g., RTAS for Digidesign's Pro Toos, VTS (used by Roland for its stuff), etc.

You may want to read the manual that comes with Cool Edit to see whether it accepts plug-ins (I can't imagine it doesn't). If so, you'll find the protocol used and then you can check the WAVES website to see if it has a compatible format for your software.

CC
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, thanks for walking me through it. I have a much better understanding, now. As for needing "plug-ins" with CEP, I'm not sure I'd need them as they would be redundant. CEP has all sorts of dyanmics processing, compression, effects, EQ, etc. So much, infact, it's myriad.

My biggest challenge is running the program with an older chip and 128 MG of RAM. I've been thinking about buying a 256 MB memory stick to give me more "wiggle" room. However the young guru who services my computer tells me I'd be better off having his company build me a custom box that includes a 2.2 GHz processor with 510 MB of RAM. No doubt, a $400 custom CPU would be a joy. But I'm wondering if he's just trying to sell computers.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Check out the DigiDesign User Forums (DUC). When you got he site, select "Support", "User Conference" then locate the forum "Pro Tools LE Systems on Windows: 002, 002R, 001, Mbox, AM3."

The DUC always has a posted thread with all the components needed to build the most cost effective system for audio processing. That thread was created by a user, for the user(s), and the list is spot on, the cost where you can buy the parts, etc.

If you can follow Lego instructions, you can build a computer. It's very simple to put it lightly. There's no more plug and pray, best of all, you can compare the components on that list to what your "guru" is trying to sell you.

Give it a shot when you're ready to upgrade.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: