VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV Promos Coaching from Joyce Castellanos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: TV Promos Coaching from Joyce Castellanos Reply with quote

I'm going to make a recommendation here for Joyce if you are thinking about going into TV Promos and need a coach and demo. It will be worth your while and investment into your craft.

I worked recently with Joyce Castellanos as my Promo Coach. I thought to myself is this too good to be true? Not only does Joyce have the background as a Promo Producer for major networks (10+years at WB), she is one of the coolest people that knows how to get your best performance. I got Joyce's contact from Nancy Wolfson who also knows Joyce very well and said "You wonder if Joyce is just telling you everything you want to hear. I (Nancy) went to work with Joyce to see how I would like working as a Network Promo Producer and Joyce was just an amazing person in the network meetings. She had this personality and knew all the lingo, exactly what element was needed and where as well as how to get everything tied together from the network staff. There was just so much that she knows as a producer it's staggering."

My take:
It's no wonder she was so successful at it after working with her. She is uberintuitive. All she has to do is listen to you and instantly she knows where to take you, what your signatures are, and what you will be good at. You’ll scratch your head in wonder and then be in the wonder of it all when you see and hear what you can achieve in Promos once you master it. And that personality… One of the coolest, sweetest gals with the knowledge and experience to help you get the most from your performance.

I was fortunate in that she recognized that I have a talent for perception and most important the ability to take massive direction all at once and deliver. She literally threw the book at me with directions for takes on a promos and I was able to process it all and deliver exactly what she wanted to hear.

With that accomplished in a few lessons, probably less than 4-5, I was able to proceed to the demo phase in a fairly quick amount of time. Turns out that I just have the feel for promos. (Which is interesting because Nancy also noted that I have this thing for archtypes that is particularly useful for promo and trailer work.) I highly recommend Joyce for coaching on promo work. She also has super people that can produce a demo for you if you need.

Joyce's comment on my promo demo:
"After listening several times to your demo I have one thing to say....YOU ROCK!

I think it sounds really great...it has a very contemporary sound with enough versatility without trying to be all things to everybody!"

Here's my new Network TV Promo demo.
www.tvradiovoice.com/audiofiles/EagleTVPromo.mp3

Last edited by Eddie Eagle on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy you got to work with Joyce! I love her and agree with everything you said!
FaffCon
TalkerTees
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, thanks for letting know us about working with Joyce! Sounds like a great experience.

Now that I've listened to your promo demo, you've got me wondering; did you record all/some of the segments that make up the demo after working with Joyce? And did you produce it yourself, or have one of her people produce it for you?
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is pretty cool eh Amy?

Doug,
I went through sessions of coaching with Joyce first. Then we set up a session with new up to date scripts of programming and did a separate session to record those for the demo. She was on the patch with me as I recorded and then we played the takes back and selected which were to be used.

At that point I had a decision to make on whether to let someone produce it $$ or do it myself. I chose to do it myself.
She sent me all the music and sots to use and what you hear is the final product. Choosing to do it myself was only because I'm comfortable with producing. For some folks it's best to use someone else so you get the right levels, hits, and timing right. Also some producers may have a unique editing technique and mix other elements to spice it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: